from €45.00 EUR
Duration: 1 hour
Organized by: Gaudium Travel
The Capuchin Crypts in Rome hold a unique and fascinating history that continues to captivate visitors from around the world. These underground chambers house the remains of over 4,000 Capuchin friars, carefully arranged in intricate designs and decorations. The crypts showcase the artistic and spiritual aspects of the Capuchin order, as well as their respect for the ephemeral nature of life.
The Rich History of the Capuchin Crypts
The Capuchin Crypts have a long and fascinating history that dates back to the 17th century. When the Capuchin friars left their old friary near the Trevi Fountain, they decided to transfer the bones of their deceased brethren who had been buried under the Church of Saint Bonaventure. In accordance with Capuchin law, which prohibited burials within churches, an underground cemetery was designed to house the remains.
Over the centuries, the crypts have continued to serve as the final resting place for the Capuchin friars. The unique artistry and arrangement of the bones reflect the order’s deep appreciation for the transient nature of life and their commitment to spirituality.
The Ultimate Capuchin Crypts Experience: Skip-the-Line Tickets and Guided Tour
With our exclusive skip-the-line tickets, you can bypass the long queues and gain direct access to the captivating Capuchin Crypts. This ensures a hassle-free and memorable experience while exploring the crypts and museum with our knowledgeable English-speaking guide.
Our guided tour is designed for small groups, with a maximum of 10 participants. This intimate setting allows for a more personalized and engaging experience as you delve into the history and significance of the site.
Our expert guide will lead you through the various sections of the crypts, including:
- Capuchin Museum: Begin your tour with a visit to the Capuchin Museum, where you will learn about the history, culture, and spirituality of the order.
- Crypt of the Three Skeletons: This area showcases the unadorned human skeleton, offering a stark contrast to the elaborate designs found throughout the rest of the crypts.
- Crypt of the Leg Bones and Thigh Bones: Marvel at the intricate patterns created using the bones of the friars
- Crypt of the Pelvises: This chamber features two Capuchin friars reclining in an arched position, surrounded by pelvis bones arranged in fascinating designs.
- Crypt of the Skulls: Explore the Crypt of the Skulls, where you’ll find the famous hourglass made of bone, symbolizing the passage of time and the fleeting nature of life.
- Crypt of the Resurrection: This section displays a striking tableau of the resurrected Christ, made entirely of bones, emphasizing the theme of life and death.
- Mass Chapel: Admire the serene Mass Chapel, which is still used for religious ceremonies by the Capuchin friars today.
Throughout the tour, our guide will provide detailed explanations and historical context for the various crypts and their unique decorations.
Flexible Booking and Cancellation Policy
We understand the importance of flexibility in travel plans. That’s why we offer free cancellations up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund. Additionally, you can reserve your spot now and pay nothing until the day of your visit.
A visit to Rome’s Capuchin Crypts is a truly unique and unforgettable experience that offers a glimpse into the artistic, historical, and spiritual aspects of the Capuchin order. With our skip-the-line tickets and expert guided tour, you can immerse yourself in the rich history and fascinating stories behind the crypts while enjoying a comfortable and hassle-free visit. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore one of Rome’s most intriguing and captivating sites. Book your Capuchin Crypts skip-the-line ticket and guided tour today and create lasting memories of your Roman adventure.
- Skip the line ticket.
- Professional guided tour (in English).
- Resort pick-up and drop off.
Free cancellation up to 1 day before the tour starts.
from €59.00 EUR
Duration: 3.5 Hours
Organized by: City Wonders Ltd.
from €344.00 EUR
Duration: 4 Hours
from €18.00 EUR
from €25.00 EUR
Duration: 2.5 Hours
from €55.00 EUR
Duration: 1 Hour
Organized by: Viator
from €39.00 EUR
Duration: 3 Hours
Organized by: Rome Your Way
from €40.00 EUR
Duration: 2.5 Hours
Organized by: Roman Holiday Travel
from €35.00 EUR
Duration: 40 Min.
Organized by: Touriks
from €300.00 EUR
Duration: 3 Hours
from €33.00 EUR
Validity: 2 or 3 Days