Ariccia is village on the Via Appia. The centre is enhanced by the Piazza della Repubblica, an architectonic ensemble designed by Bernini in 1662-65. Facing it are the Pa-lazzo Chigi and church of Santa Maria dell’As-sunzione, built on a central plan; the interior contains a large fresco by Ambrogio da Fossano, called Bergognone (recorded 1481-1522).
In the surrounding area can be found the San-tuario di Santa Maria di Galloro (first half of the 17th cent.), with facade designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini; inside is a painting of San Tommaso di Villanova, by Giacinto Gemi-gnani (1611-1681).