Construction of the Forum of Nerva was decided by Domitian to give monumental form to the vacant strip of land at the point where the two existing forums met.
The emperor died shortly before the work was completed and it was finished by Nerva, at the time aged sixty-six, who gave it his name.
The new forum, 120 metres long and 45 wide, allowed no space for the construction of a new colonnade, so the portico of the Temple of Peace was used. At one end a temple was dedicated to Minerva: this stood till 1606 when Pope Paul V had it pulled down to provide materials for the construction of the Acqua Paola on the Janiculum. Drawings from the 16th century show us that at that time the temple was still standing and the dedicatory inscription mentioning Nerva could still be deciphered on the architrave.
Reconstruction Video – Forum of Nerva:
Tickets & Tours: