The Curia Julia (Curia Lulia), the Roman Senate’s most ancient meeting-place, probably stood on the present site of the church of Santi Luca and Martina. The great brick edifice now called the Curia was the new Senate House, begun by order of Julius Caesar and completed by Augustus in 29 BC. In the seventh century it was turned into a church and this saved it from destruction.
In the 1930’s it was restored to the condition in which it was left after rebuilding by the Emperor Diocletian. The interior of the Curia is a single large space covering an area of almost 500 square metres. The ceiling is 21 metres high. Much of the intarsia marble pavement still dates from the age of Diocletian, as do the architectural decorations on the walls.
The three steps that run round the longer sides once supported the seats of the senators (numbering about three hundred), while at the far end is the dais for the president. The bronze doors are a copy of those dating from the reign of Diocletian. In the seventeenth century the originals were moved to the basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano, where they can still be seen in the central portal.
Reconstruction Video of Curia Julia:
Curia Julia Photo Gallery:
Colosseum to Curia:
Curia set in Roman Forum, 0,7 km from (8 min walk) from Colosseum.